Though bipolar disorder is among the most common mood disorders, it is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed. The term bipolar is often used casually to describe a moody person, which detracts from the severity of the disorder. Bipolar disorder is characterized by severe mood swings between mania and clinical depression periods. Stress strongly impacts these episodes. Bipolar manifests differently for each person; therefore, bipolar disorder treatment must be highly individualized.
Harmony Hills provides comprehensive bipolar disorder treatment in Florida in a safe, supportive environment. We understand the complexities of bipolar disorder and take the time to get to know you to develop a treatment plan that meets you where you are and will grow and change as you do. Call us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about how you or your loved one can benefit from bipolar disorder treatment.
Recognizing the Signs of Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder has a variety of symptoms that can vary from person to person. The signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder can even vary within the same person, which is what makes a proper diagnosis so complicated. The unpredictability of bipolar disorder makes it difficult for those with bipolar and their loved ones to understand. Some typical signs of bipolar disorder can include:
- Distinct manic episodes
- Distinct depressive episodes
- Feeling hopeless about being able to control your emotions
- Feeling that your life is out of your control
- Sleep disturbances
- Changes in activity level from very active to complete inactivity
- Frequent thoughts of death or suicide
- Experiencing severe mood swings for a long time
People who have bipolar disorder will not always be in a manic or depressive state. When not experiencing a manic episode or depressive episode, they will usually feel and appear normal, which is partly why it can be tricky to recognize the bipolar disorder.
Manic and Depressive Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Suspecting that you have bipolar disorder can be scary and upsetting. While there is no cure for bipolar disorder, highly effective treatment can help you learn to manage symptoms to live a healthy and fulfilling life. The manic and depressive episodes that characterize bipolar disorder are highly unpredictable. You might experience rapid cycling moods that frequently occur, making life seem out of control, or you might have only a few cycles separated by periods where everything seems normal.
It is essential to learn to recognize the manic and depressive symptoms of bipolar:
Symptoms of Mania
- Increased energy and feeling overly elated or hyper
- Fast-talking with racing thoughts
- Decreased need for sleep
- Difficulty concentrating or being easily distracted
- Restlessness and impulsivity
- Having overconfidence in abilities
- Engaging in risky behaviors
Symptoms of Depression
- A feeling of hopelessness and despair that lasts at least two weeks
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Severe fatigue and lack of energy
- Significant changes in appetite resulting in weight gain or loss
- Lack of interest in typically enjoyable activities
- Difficulty with memory, concentration, and decision-making
- Preoccupation with death or suicidal thoughts
One of the main reasons bipolar disorder is so frequently misdiagnosed is that if people seek help, they tend to do so only when experiencing a depressive episode. Many people fail to recognize manic episodes for what they are and do not consider them problematic. However, manic episodes can be dangerous and highly destructive. During a manic episode, a person with bipolar is more likely to harm themselves and others or have encounters with the law that result in lasting legal issues.
Discover Bipolar Disorder Treatment in Florida at Harmony Hills
At Harmony Hills, we know that a bipolar diagnosis can initially feel scary. However, we also understand that a proper diagnosis comes with appropriate treatment, so you can learn how to manage symptoms to keep bipolar in remission effectively. Bipolar disorder doesn’t have to control your life.
We believe that a holistic approach to treatment, using evidence-based therapies, is the best way to lasting recovery. Call us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about your options for bipolar disorder treatment.