Many people associate the term “holistic” with a particular lifestyle. However, when considering mental health treatment, holistic refers to how a person’s well-being is impacted by the psychological, emotional, physical, spiritual, and social aspects of their life. Holistic therapy in Florida treats each area as individual pieces of a puzzle that need to be addressed to promote overall healing. Often, people think that holistic treatment ignores or avoids medication, but this is not the case. Instead, a holistic approach combines modern Eastern medical practices with ancient Western techniques for more effective mental health treatment.
Harmony Hills provides comprehensive evidence-based, and holistic therapies to help our clients find relief from their symptoms and learn to manage their mental health to lead healthy, productive lives through our residential treatment program. Call us at 855.494.0357 to discover how a holistic therapy program can help you.
The Importance of Holistic Therapy for Mental Health
The relationship between our environment, thoughts, emotions, spiritual and physical health has meaningful impacts on our overall well-being. The symptoms of mental health disorders impact all areas of life, so effective treatment should foster whole-person healing. Mental health treatment often focuses solely on reducing or managing symptoms, making it less effective. People feel hopeless and frustrated, believing that mental health treatment does not work.
As part of a comprehensive treatment plan, holistic therapy for mental health helps promote self-care that strengthens the potential for lasting recovery. Significant benefits of a holistic therapy program include the following:
- Encourages a healthy diet and exercise
- Can help reduce the need for medications
- No harmful side-effects to practices like meditation
- Fosters the development of coping skills
- Improves relationship and communication skills
- Promotes relaxation and stress reduction
- Cultivates patience and tolerance
The techniques learned in holistic therapy can be practiced almost anywhere, so clients can quickly draw on these techniques during duress to manage their mental health symptoms.
What Techniques Are Used in Holistic Mental Health Treatment?
The calming effects of holistic treatment options make them ideal for helping people better cope with the physical, emotional, and spiritual challenges of recovery from co-occurring disorders. A holistic approach also allows individuals to identify and work through the underlying thoughts, emotions, and events that contribute to their symptoms.
Some of the holistic mental health treatment techniques that can help your mental health include the following:
- Yoga – Helps center the body and mind in the present
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) – Addresses trauma, anxiety, and other triggers
- Nutritional therapy – Many people with mental health disorders have unhealthy diets that contribute to poor nutrition
- Spa therapies – Massage and other relaxation treatments address pain management and promote stress reduction
- Meditation and mindfulness – Effective for managing triggers and intense emotions and promoting calm
- Experiential therapies – Art and music therapy allow for creative expression to work through symptoms, including trauma
- Acupuncture – Eases chronic pain, increases energy and positive thinking
Different mental health treatment programs will offer other alternative treatment options. Be sure to do your research to ensure that the program you choose provides the therapies most vital to you and your goals for recovery.
Reach Out to Harmony Hills to Discover the Benefits of Holistic Mental Health Treatment
Holistic mental health treatment draws on individuals’ internal needs and innate drive to become self-actualized or be the best version of themselves. Throughout treatment, people learn the skills and tools they need to manage their mental health for the long term. Holistic therapy for mental health strengthens personal resolve, self-respect, and accountability while inspiring self-reliance and empowerment.
At Harmony Hills, we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to live their best life. Our residential treatment center provides comprehensive, holistic mental health treatment in a safe and supportive environment. Many individuals with mental health disorders turn to drugs or alcohol, seeking relief from their symptoms. When this happens, we offer co-occurring treatment for substance use disorders.
Discover how a holistic therapy program at Harmony Hills can improve your mental health. Reach out to us online or call 855.494.0357 today.