Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental health disorder that affects how you think and feels about yourself and others. BPD usually begins in early adulthood and generally improves with age. The lives of people with BPD are chaotic because of their inability to manage their emotions and behavior. They have an intense fear of abandonment and being alone, but their frequent mood swings, inappropriate anger, and impulsiveness cause significant impairments in their relationships. A borderline personality disorder treatment program in Florida provides holistic, evidence-based treatment to help overcome BPD and learn the skills needed to form and maintain healthy relationships.
Harmony Hills is a mental health treatment center providing comprehensive BPD and co-occurring disorders. Residential care offers around-the-clock access to care in a supportive and nurturing environment. Contact our team at 855.494.0357 to learn about your BPD treatment options.
Recognizing the Need for Borderline Personality Disorder Treatment
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) can cause damage in many areas of your life, negatively impacting personal relationships, school, work, self-care, and the ability to tend to daily responsibilities. Those with BPD frequently have co-occurring disorders, including anxiety, substance use disorder, depression, eating disorders, and other personality disorders. Complications of BPD typically include:
- Job instability or dropping out of school
- Legal issues and incarceration
- Self-injury such as cutting
- Involvement in abusive relationships
- Risk-taking behaviors
- Suicide attempts and frequent hospitalizations
Borderline personality disorder can only be diagnosed by a professional, but some signs can indicate that you need BPD treatment, such as:
- Severe mood swings that can last from a few hours to days and include extreme happiness, anxiety, irritability, or shame
- Inappropriate, intense anger that often leads to physical altercations
- Unstable self-image or rapid changes to self-identity that include shifting goals and values
- Intense fear of abandonment or going to extreme measures to avoid real or imagined separation or rejection
- Episodes of stress-related paranoia or losing touch with reality
- Persistent feelings of emptiness
- A pattern of intense, unstable relationships
Untreated BPD makes it challenging to live a productive life and puts you at a higher risk for suicide. Thankfully, BPD is treatable and responds well to a combination of therapy, medication, and self-help tools.
The Benefits of Residential Treatment for BPD
Residential treatment for BPD provides a safe, stable environment where individuals receive effective, individualized treatment. BPD is treated with talk therapy, behavior therapy, and medication. Education about BPD, family therapy, social and emotional skills training, coping skills, self-help tools, and life skills are significant parts of comprehensive BPD treatment at Harmony Hills.
Often, those with BPD struggle to cope with the responsibilities, routines, and stressors of regular daily life. Significant benefits of residential treatment for BPD include:
- Supportive structure and routines
- Support in daily living activities
- Promotes a sense of community and accountability
- Allows for the focus to be on recovery
- Peer support
- High-quality nutrition and physical fitness
- Around-the-clock access to care
Residents can practice new skills in residential treatment and receive immediate therapeutic feedback from our treatment team and peers. This feedback is especially critical in BPD treatment because developing healthy and appropriate relationships is central to overcoming BPD to lead a healthy and fulfilling life.
Turn to Harmony Hills for BPD Treatment
Living with borderline personality disorder can make you feel like your life is out of control, and the symptoms can feel debilitating. However, it is possible to learn how to manage BPD and master the coping skills needed. Residential treatment for BPD offers the necessary time to change the behaviors that contribute to your difficulties in life. Education about BPD helps provide insight into why you feel and act the way you do to make the necessary changes.
Turn to Harmony Hills when you are ready to accept the BPD treatment you need and deserve. We are happy to answer all of your questions about BPD treatment. Use our online form or call 855.494.0357 to speak with an intake specialist.