Understanding the different types of counselors in mental health therapy can be confusing. There are therapists, psychologists, LCSWs, psychiatrists, and counselors. With all these types of mental health counselors, it can be confusing to understand where to start on your healing journey.
At Harmony Hills, we can help you find the perfect mental health treatment for you. We offer different types of counseling so our clients can receive the individualized care they need. Our experienced staff treats various conditions and offers programs and schedules to meet every client’s mental health needs. Call us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about our programs and counseling options.
Learning More About the Types of Mental Health Therapy
We use a three-phase approach to treatment at Harmony Hills. Phase one begins with detox, where our medical team supervises guests as they go through withdrawal if needed. Phase two is residential treatment, where guests have access to 24/7 care as their healing process begins. The third phase is an outpatient treatment program, where guests continue to receive recovery support while living at home.
During the process, we offer the following types of mental health treatments:
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) helps clients abstain from using harmful substances, manage withdrawal symptoms, and curb cravings. MAT is shown to help clients achieve lasting sobriety.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy, or CBT, is often used in mental health therapy. CBT helps clients identify negative thought patterns and behaviors and then replace those unwanted behaviors with healthier ones.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a modified form of CBT that also helps clients change unwanted behaviors. Often practiced in groups, DBT is ideal in an outpatient setting. DBT’s four areas of focus include the following:
- Distress tolerance
- Interpersonal effectiveness
- Emotion regulation
Different Types of Counseling
Our skilled clinicians have extensive substance use and mental health training. Because of this, we offer a wide range of therapeutic options to meet the specific needs of individuals. Some of our different types of counseling include:
- Family therapy
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Trauma therapy
- EMDR therapy
- Relapse prevention
- 12-step therapy
Our mission is to provide state-of-the-art, effective, whole-health treatment to individuals and families impacted by mental health issues and mental health disorders in a compassionate, supportive, and healing environment. Effective dual diagnosis treatment requires skilled clinical support and effective treatment plans, all of which are available in our Florida facility.
Different Types of Counselors
At Harmony Hills, our staff includes therapists, licensed clinical social workers (LCSW), and psychiatrists. Our team works together to form individualized treatment plans for each client. Here’s how to decipher the different types of counselors:
- A therapist, or licensed professional counselor (LPC), has at least a master’s degree in the field and specializes in talk therapy.
- An LCSW also has a master’s degree and can provide talk therapy, but they may have additional training in areas such as trauma or substance use.
- A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who can prescribe medication and provide talk therapy.
Find the Mental Health Support You Need at Harmony Hills
Harmony Hills is a mental health recovery treatment center located in Altoona, Florida, just one hour north of Orlando. Our serene, rural setting helps clients focus on their treatment away from the stresses of everyday life. Our treatment programs provide options to meet the needs of most clients. We offer residential, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, and outpatient aftercare programs to suit the needs of clients seeking out recovery treatment. Discover how you can receive the help that you need and start down the road to recovery, long-term sobriety, and living the life you want by calling 855.494.0357 or reaching out online.