Schizoaffective disorder presents with symptoms of schizophrenia and a mood disorder. “Schizo” refers to the psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia, and “affective” refers to the symptoms of a mood disorder. There are two types of schizoaffective disorder based on the associated mood disorder: bipolar disorder and depressive type.
Schizoaffective disorder is often confused with schizophrenia, but they are separate conditions. Each significantly impacts functioning, especially when left untreated or misdiagnosed. A qualified schizoaffective disorder treatment program can provide a proper diagnosis and help determine the best course of treatment.
Harmony Hills offers mood disorder treatment in Altoona, Florida, just one hour north of Orlando. The Ocala National Forest surrounds our serene, rural 80-acre campus that provides the perfect backdrop for healing and growth and promotes nature’s healing qualities. Reach out to our team at 855.494.0357 to learn more about how we can help you or your loved one.
Do You Need a Mood Disorder Treatment Program in Florida?
According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), approximately 21.4% of American adults experience a mood disorder. A 2021 National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Florida State Fact Sheet reports that 648,000 adults in Florida have a serious mental illness, including mood disorders like major depression and bipolar disorder.
The two most common mood disorders are depression and bipolar disorder, each of which has several subtypes. Symptoms of mood disorders vary depending on the specific type. Common symptoms of depression include:
- Feeling excessively sad most of the day, on most days
- Hopelessness, worthlessness, or guilt
- Significant changes in appetite and weight
- Sleep disturbances, including sleeping too much or not enough
- Frequent thoughts about death or suicide
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or remembering things
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Isolation from friends and family
In addition to the above symptoms of depression, people with bipolar disorder also experience symptoms of mania or hypomania that include:
- Extreme energy or elation
- Agitation, restlessness, or irritability
- Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or little need for sleep
- Feeling jumpy or on edge for no reason
- Racing thoughts
- Rapid speech or movements
- Engaging in risky behaviors
- Unusual activity level, including taking on too much
Mood disorders are mental health conditions that primarily affect a person’s emotional state. However, prolonged periods of depression or mania can also cause changes in behavior and impact a person’s ability to manage their daily routines and responsibilities. You may benefit from mood disorder treatment if you recognize the above symptoms in yourself or a loved one and struggle to cope with everyday life.
The Benefits of Mood Disorder Treatment in Florida
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) reported that in 2021, over 13% of adults in Florida had a diagnosed mental health disorder. Further, 13.1 % of the population was uninsured, and 49.7 % of those who needed mental health care reported the cost of treatment prevented them from seeking help.
We recognize that the benefits of mental health treatment reach far beyond individuals. Untreated mental health disorders have high social and economic costs through the impacts on the health care system, employment, productivity, social services, the judicial system, education, and more.
At Harmony Hills, we know that good mental health contributes to better physical health and, ultimately, longer life expectancy. Clients are given a safe space to explore their thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and experiences through the therapies provided in our mood disorder treatment center in Florida. Other benefits of mood disorder treatment include:
- Enhanced ability for emotional regulation
- Improved communication and interpersonal skills
- Greater insight and self-awareness
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Development of coping mechanisms and decision-making skills
- Enhanced problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Peer support and the development of a solid support network
Though much has been done to combat the stigma associated with mental health, it remains a significant barrier to treatment. Harmony Hills is dedicated to being part of the solution to the mental health crisis in Florida by providing education about mental illness and working with clients to overcome financial barriers to treatment.
Contact Harmony Hills Today
The Harmony Hills team understands that each individual who comes to us for mental health treatment is unique. We will work with you no matter your diagnosis to develop a treatment plan suited to your needs and goals. Reach out to us today to get started on the path to recovery. Call 855.494.0357.