When you contact Harmony Hills, one of the first steps of getting the treatment that you need is to determine which addiction therapy programs would be most useful to you. As such, when you begin our admission process, one of our staff members will talk to you about your history of substance abuse. During this time, we’ll get an idea of what your greatest challenges are and what you hope to achieve with our addiction treatment program. Once we’ve finished our intake process, we will begin developing your treatment program. For many of our guests, a dialectical behavioral therapy program is crucial to recovery.
Dialectical behavior therapy, or DBT, could be a critical part of your addiction recovery program, so we’re proud to provide this treatment to our guests. If you’re wondering if our Florida treatment can help you overcome addiction, please contact Harmony Hills today at 855.494.0357.
What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a modified kind of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy. This treatment helps people identify and change negative thought patterns and make positive changes to their behavior. An outpatient setting is ideal for DBT.
People who engage in harmful or self-destructive behaviors participate in this kind of therapy and attend weekly group meetings to learn skills in a safe and secure environment. Our team teaches them to practice accepting themselves as they are.
That includes accepting any uncomfortable or unsettling thoughts or feelings they have. Doing this while also working to change can help DBT guests resolve internal conflicts they have as they work to bring opposites together and see how they create the whole picture.
DBT, an evidence-based treatment, has four standard parts that make up a comprehensive treatment program. They are:
- Individual therapy: This is where guests apply the skills and strategies they need to achieve their treatment goals.
- Group skills training: Here, they learn about the four skill modules that standard DBT therapy covers. Those are mindfulness, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, and emotion regulation. People in recovery from substance abuse also acquire a set of skills that help them address their specific addiction(s).
- Guidance of a therapist consultation team: This team focuses on ensuring guests get the most out of a treatment designed to meet their needs.
- Phone coaching: A one-on-one telephone consultation with a therapist helps ensure that people in recovery can connect with a professional should they have a crisis that happens between sessions. Phone coaching can also take place to ensure the skills taught in DBT are being utilized when they are needed.
What Does a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program Provide?
One of the most critical aspects that dialectical behavior therapy teaches is being focused on the here and now, rather than regretting the past or worrying about the future. This practice, otherwise known as mindfulness, is important for people trying to overcome addiction.
DBT also provides assistance navigating challenging interpersonal situations, allowing you to learn effective communication skills. You’re able to moderate the intensity at which you speak to others and mast appropriate emotional responses.
The concept of interpersonal effectiveness leads to another critical component of DBT: emotional regulation. It’s critical to learn how to manage and cope with your emotions during complicated situations. Our dialectical behavioral therapy program is able to teach you to do this.
Furthermore, our treatment program can also teach you how to handle any stressful situations that may trigger you to use drugs or alcohol again. With these coping techniques, you’re more likely to stay sober longer.
Get Treatment at Harmony Hills
At our central Florida treatment center, we’re proud to provide the care and support that you need to recover from addiction. We use our dialectical behavioral therapy program alongside many of our addiction treatment programs, including:
- Alcohol addiction treatment
- Heroin addiction treatment
- Opioid addiction treatment
- Opiate addiction treatment
- Stimulant addiction treatment
To learn more about your treatment options at Harmony Hills, contact our team today at 855.494.0357.