Depression is a mental health disorder that impacts the lives of millions of people throughout the world. It is also one of the most commonly misunderstood. The term “depressed” has become a blanket word used to describe any general feelings of sadness or disappointment. Because of this, the seriousness of true depression is often overlooked. Depression is among the most commonly reported mental health disorders, but this does not mean it is simple. A complex combination of factors contributes to the cause of depression. There are a variety of ways to treat depression.
For many, a residential treatment program is the best way to achieve long-term recovery from depression. At Harmony Hills, we understand the complexity of depression and have developed a depression treatment center to help clients manage their symptoms and live full lives. Learn more by calling 855.494.0357.
What Factors Contribute to Depression?
Research on depression points to several genetic, biological, intrapersonal, and environmental factors that combine to cause depression. Here is a closer look at them:
- Genetic Factors: The most compelling suggestion that there is a genetic component to depression is that it is known to run in families. Researchers believe that not one single gene causes depression, but a combination of genes that each contribute some part.
- Biological Factors: Studies show that hormones and brain chemistry, specifically neurotransmitters, also contribute to depression. Generally speaking, people who suffer from depression frequently have different levels of certain hormones and reduced activity in specific neurotransmitter centers than those without depression.
- Intrapersonal Factors: We are all born with relatively stable personality traits that contribute to our overall approach to life. Certain personality traits have been found to contribute to depression. For example, being very sensitive to criticism and being introverted are traits often linked to depression.
- Environmental Factors: Environmental factors impact our entire well-being. Those contributing to depression will be different for each person, but some common examples are trauma, long-term stress, significant loss, and poor health.
Another common factor that frequently plays a role in depression is substance abuse or addiction. Sometimes, a substance use disorder can lead to depression. More commonly, people suffering from depression turn to drugs and alcohol to alleviate their emotional pain.
What to Expect at Residential Treatment for Depression
At our depression residential treatment center, Harmony Hills, we provide a safe and supportive environment where individuals can focus on healing. Our residential treatment for depression is structured to tackle the unique challenges faced by each individual, with personalized treatment plans designed for optimal recovery.
- Personal therapy — Individuals will have regular sessions with a licensed therapist who will employ evidence-based therapeutic techniques to address depression.
- Group therapy — Group therapy is a vital component of our residential treatment program. Individuals learn from others facing similar challenges and build a supportive network.
- Medication management — If required, medication may be used alongside therapy. Our professional medical team ensures the safe and effective use of medication, adjusting doses as needed.
- Wellness activities — We recognize the importance of holistic healing. Therefore, we offer wellness activities such as yoga, meditation, and outdoor activities to foster physical well-being and mental peace.
At Harmony Hills, our residential treatment centers for depression are designed to provide the nurturing environment needed to conquer depression. Our comprehensive approach strives to help our residents regain control of their lives and find their path to recovery.
Benefits of Residential Treatment Centers for Depression
Many people associate residential treatment solely with addiction treatment, but it is also very beneficial for treating mental health disorders like depression. A residential treatment program for depression provides a safe, therapeutic environment with 24-hour access to care. Suppose you suffer from depression and a co-occurring substance abuse disorder. In that case, a residential treatment program will allow you to receive treatment for both simultaneously, significantly improving your chance for long-lasting recovery from both.
Another critical benefit of residential treatment for depression, or any disorder, like anxiety, is that it allows you to be removed from your daily routine to focus on your recovery without the stressors and triggers that might contribute to your depression. Other benefits include:
- Built-in individual, group, and family therapy
- Peer support
- High-quality nutrition
- Reduced risk for medical problems
- Access to physical fitness activities
- Structure and stability
- Opportunity to learn new habits and coping skills
Overall, a residential treatment program like the one offered at Harmony Hills allows you to get at the root causes of your depression. The insights you gain and the skills you learn will provide you with the tools you need to live symptom-free when you return to your regular daily life.
Learn More About Residential Treatment for Depression at Harmony Hills
At Harmony Hills, we believe everyone can overcome addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. Living with untreated depression causes unnecessary pain and suffering. The healing process can begin with one phone call. Reach out to us by calling 855.494.0357 to learn how our holistic approach to treatment can help you or your loved one. Our caring team is ready to help you take the next step toward a better quality of life.