There are numerous therapeutic options for individuals struggling with mental health issues or substance use disorders to aid in healing and recovery. Group therapy is often a key ingredient in successful mental health treatment programs and is also a common component in residential addiction treatment. In a group therapy program, clients come together to discuss their common challenges and work to develop effective coping skills under one or more therapists’ supervision.
Harmony Hills is a mental health and substance abuse treatment center located in central Florida, just an hour north of Orlando. We offer effective mental health treatment programs and residential addiction treatment, as well as outpatient care. Call us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about our residential addiction treatment and therapy programs.
What Clients Learn in Group Therapy Programs
Each client’s experience in any mental health treatment program is unique. It can be uncomfortable walking into a group of new people. However, most clients come to feel that the group brings a sense of camaraderie and safety. Some of the lessons that clients learn in group therapy activities include:
- You are not alone. After sharing with the group, you see that others have the same thoughts, feelings, and challenges.
- Value is gained from hearing other people’s feelings and experiences.
- Sharing your wins and challenges can be therapeutic for both you and the group.
- There is a strong sense of support in group therapy.
Group therapy activities for adults play an important role in residential addiction treatment and mental health treatment programs. Harmony Hills Treatment Center offers clients therapist-led group therapy activities for adults as part of an effective mental health treatment program.
Common Group Therapy Activities for Adults
Sometimes it is easier to heal when it doesn’t feel like the hard work that it is. Your therapist will use activities, games, and puzzles to help you share insight with, learn from, and effectively communicate with each other and yourselves. Some common group therapy activities for adults include:
- Motivation Board – Each participant uses a poster board to make a sort of mood board of the things that motivate them in life and goals they wish to achieve, then discuss. This is a good way to learn to encourage others and communicate what you want.
- Emotions Charades – The goal of this activity is to show how easy it can be to misinterpret or misread someone’s emotions just by looking at them by having participants act out certain emotions. It stresses the importance of being open about how you feel.
- Two Truths and a Lie – You may have played this game before; participants share two true things and one lie about themselves, and the others have to guess the lie.
Therapists use many different exercises to engage participants in group therapy and get them to open up and learn comfortably. Group therapy can be very beneficial to recovery from substance use and mental health disorders.
Group Therapy in Mental Health Treatment Programs
In group therapy, one or more therapists guide the group through each session, often introducing a topic related to your treatment. Clients share experiences, give each other feedback, and discuss their feelings and challenges, often building long-term relationships with other people in their support groups in the process.
The group setting brings accountability among members and provides opportunities for people to support each other in their recovery, helping both the individual client and the group simultaneously. Group therapy programs result in improved social interactions and interpersonal relationships for clients and help heal relationship issues. Group members can practice skills with each other in a safe, therapeutic environment before taking them out into the world.
Types of Group Therapy Programs
Our group therapy program offers clients the ability to work through their substance use and mental health issues in a safe and supportive environment. We also offer dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and family therapy options in addition to therapy-led groups.
DBT helps clients improve social and communication skills, regulate emotions and behaviors, and improve interpersonal relationships. At Harmony Hills, we also believe that families play an important part in residential addiction treatment and recovery. With the support of a therapist, families work together to address and heal the damage done by addiction and mental health disorders and form healthier family bonds.
Discover Effective Group Therapy at Harmony Hills
Harmony Hills is a residential and outpatient mental health and substance abuse treatment center located in Altoona, Florida. We believe that group therapy is an effective way for clients to connect with others striving for and committed to their recovery. We use group therapy in all of our addiction treatment programs as well, including:
- Alcohol addiction treatment
- Heroin addiction treatment
- Benzo addiction treatment
- Stimulant addiction treatment
- Opiate addiction treatment
Our group therapy program promotes healing, improved mental health, and long-term recovery while reducing the chances of relapse. Contact Harmony Hills today at 855.494.0357 or via our online form to learn how our group therapy programs can help you or your loved one get on the path to long-term recovery.