Borderline personality disorder, or BPD, is a commonly misunderstood mental health disorder characterized by unstable moods, behavior, and relationships. It is actually one of the most common mental health issues from which someone might suffer, and it affects millions of Americans. While the disorder can negatively impact all aspects of a person’s life, there are treatment options for BPD that can help.
Understanding what borderline personality disorder is, the signs of BPD, and treatment options for BPD are the first step to healing. Harmony Hills offers specialized treatment programs for BPD and other personality disorders, as well as a range of therapeutic approaches that can lead to improved relationships and overall well-being. Contact us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about our BPD treatment options and begin your journey to healthier living.
What Is BPD?
So what is borderline personality disorder? BPD is a personality disorder that can impact how people think about themselves and others, causing them to struggle to make risky decisions in their relationships and personal lives. When someone has this personality disorder, it can lead to serious problems functioning in everyday life. The following are common characteristics of someone with BPD:
- They may have a hard time managing their emotions.
- They might develop problems maintaining relationships with other people.
- Individuals with borderline personality disorder often leave behind a long track record of volatile relationships.
- They may struggle with how they see themselves in the mirror.
For all of these reasons, it is critical to diagnose borderline personality disorder and get borderline personality disorder treatment as quickly as possible.
What Is BPD? The Signs of BPD
For those looking to answer the question, what is BPD, it is essential to take a closer look at the symptoms. The following are common signs of someone with BPD:
- Those with this personality disorder will develop a strong, overwhelming fear of abandonment.
- Individuals with this condition will often take extreme action and effort to prevent people from breaking off relationships with them.
- Individuals with this condition may undergo rapid changes in self-identity.
- This condition may have a pattern of risky behavior such as reckless driving, gambling, unsafe sex, and rapid spending sprees.
- It is not unusual for individuals with this condition to make suicidal threats to manipulate people into doing what they want.
Of note, one of the hallmark symptoms of this condition is called splitting. In this case, individuals in the client’s life are either completely good or downright evil. There is no middle ground. It is also not unusual to see someone flip from one end of the spectrum to the other. For example, someone who was all good in the past is suddenly all bad. This is splitting.
Treatment of BPD at Harmony Hills
The good news is that there are numerous treatment options for those who may be wondering what is BPD and how it can be treated. Here at Harmony Hills, we offer a variety of therapeutic approaches for borderline personality disorder treatment, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Medication management
While borderline personality disorder can be a challenge to treat, you should never lose hope. There are options available from Harmony Hills that can lead to a brighter future. At our treatment center in Florida, we have worked hard to expand our treatment capabilities. Contact us today at 855.494.0357 to speak with a member of our staff. We would be happy to assist you or your family member in finding mental health treatment so that you can begin the journey toward improved relationships and overall well-being. Remember, it is never too late to take control of your mental health.