There are a wide variety of mental health issues that someone might suffer. One condition that commonly gets overlooked is borderline personality disorder. Despite this, borderline personality disorder is actually one of the most common mental health issues from which someone might suffer. According to information that has been published, close to 2 percent of adults have been diagnosed with this disorder. Therefore, everyone needs to understand what this disorder is, how it presents, and how it can be treated. Harmony Hills is here to help.
A Quick Overview of Borderline Personality Disorder
For many people, when they hear the phrase borderline personality disorder (BPD), their first question is, what is it? BPD is a personality disorder that can impact how people think about themselves and others, causing them to struggle to make risky decisions in their relationships and personal lives. When someone has this personality disorder, it can lead to serious problems functioning in everyday life. Individuals who have this personality disorder may have issues with:
- They may have a hard time managing their emotions.
- They might develop problems maintaining relationships with other people.
- Individuals with borderline personality disorder often leave behind a long track record of highly unstable relationships.
- They may struggle with how they see themselves in the mirror.
For all of these reasons, it is critical to diagnose borderline personality disorder and get borderline personality disorder treatment as quickly as possible. That way, those who suffer from this condition will be able to get the help they need.
What Is BPD: The Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
For those looking to answer the question, what is BPD, it is important to take a closer look at the symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms of this condition include:
- Those who have this personality disorder will develop a strong, overwhelming fear of abandonment.
- Individuals with this condition will often take extreme action and effort to prevent people from breaking off relationships with them.
- Individuals with this condition may undergo rapid changes in self-identity.
- This condition may have a pattern of risky behavior such as reckless driving, gambling, unsafe sex, and rapid spending sprees.
- It is not unusual for individuals with this condition to make suicidal threats to manipulate people into doing what they want.
Of note, one of the hallmark symptoms of this condition is called splitting. In this case, individuals in the life of the patient are either completely good or completely evil. There is no middle ground. It is also not unusual to see someone flip from one end of the spectrum to the other. For example, someone who was all good in the past is suddenly all bad. This is splitting.
The Treatment of BPD
For individuals who have been diagnosed with this condition, the foundation of treatment is mental health therapies. It is critical for everyone who has been diagnosed with this condition to make sure they seek help from a trained mental health professional. Even though this condition is notoriously difficult to treat, it can be managed with trained mental health professionals. Therefore, if you or someone you know has a personality disorder, it may be time to reach out to a mental health treatment center for assistance. That is where we come in.
Contact Harmony Hills for Help Today
Borderline personality disorder can be a challenge to treat; however, there are options available from Harmony Hills. At our treatment center in Florida, we have worked hard to expand our treatment capabilities. We believe this is important for serving our patients to the best of our abilities. Contact us today at 855.494.0357 to speak with a member of our staff. We would be happy to assist you or your family member in finding mental health treatment.