As the temperature continues to get cold outside, many people think about how they can ring in the New Year. If this sounds like you, then make sure that you do so safely. According to information that has been published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one out of every four adults has engaged in at least one episode of heavy drinking during the past year. Given that this is not New Year’s Eve parties make sure that you place yourself in the position to be successful, particularly if you are recovering from a substance abuse disorder.
If you are trying to find ways to set helpful, realistic New Year’s goals for your recovery during the coming year, Harmony Hills can provide you with a few helpful tips and access to the resources necessary to stay on the path of recovery.
Make Sure Your Realistic New Year’s Goals Are SMART
During the recovery process at an addiction treatment center, you may have learned about setting SMART goals. Therefore, when you are trying to develop strong goals for the new year, make sure you follow the same process. Some of the tips that you should follow if you are trying to set SMART goals include:
- Be Realistic: First, you need to make sure that your goals are realistic. For example, do not set a goal such as “I am going to land my dream job this week.” Instead, set a goal such as “I will get my 30-day sobriety chip this month,” if this is the next step for you.
- Be Specific: There is a saying that goes, “aim small, miss small.” Therefore, make sure that you set a specific goal. When you are setting goals, you want to make sure that you hold yourself accountable. Pick a target, specify the target, and narrow your focus. This will improve your chances of achieving it.
- Set Steps: You need to make sure that you define the steps you will take to get there. That way, you will create a roadmap of how you are going to achieve your goals.
- Be Objective: You need to make sure that your goal can be objectively defined. For example, you may want to specify a certain number of meetings you will attend. Or, you might want to specify how many workouts you are going to complete this week.
- Time-Limited: Finally, make sure that you define when your goal is achieved. Set a clear timeframe.
When you decide to follow this process, you place yourself in the best position possible to be successful.
Share Your Goals With Others
You need to make sure that you are going to hold yourself accountable when you set your goals. One of the ways that you can do this is to share your goals with other people. They may have some goals that they are trying to accomplish as well. That way, you both can hold yourselves accountable. You can push each other to succeed, which will only help further your journey to maintain your sobriety. Share your alcohol addiction treatment goals with others and remain accountable to each other.
Contact Harmony Hills for Help Setting Realistic New Year’s Goals
If you are looking for help setting treatment goals during the new year, rely on Harmony Hills’s team to help you. At Harmony Hills, we have a team of professionals that power our Florida substance abuse treatment center to help you in a wide variety of ways. With access to numerous mental health treatment programs, we can place you and your family in a successful position. Contact us today at 855.494.0357 to speak with a team member about setting realistic New Year’s goals.