Many individuals who struggle with substance use disorder or addiction, whether drugs or alcohol, come into the world of sobriety without an army of best friends or devoted supporters trailing behind them for moral support. It’s not uncommon for those dealing with addiction to have caused serious damage to their personal and professional lives, leading to few close friends, family members, or other supporters. This is exactly why you need sober supports. It is vital in maintaining sobriety and making a lasting recovery. Fortunately, Harmony Hills can help individuals build up a new, supportive community.
Why You Need Sober Supports
When individuals first start out trying to maintain a sober life, it can be a challenge. Fortunately, it gets easier, and with the right support, it will save your life. Walking up to a stranger and asking them for their phone number without having a drink or a drug in you is not something those dealing with chronic addiction aren’t used to doing.
Thus, making friends and sober supports will help individuals stay connected to the program and the fellowship. Sober support helps individuals navigate their next steps, point us in the direction of a good sponsor, or show us that fun in sobriety is possible.
Getting sober is no easy feat. We need sober supports because, firstly, people who have not been to the bottom of the barrel do not understand us. They can try, and they can sympathize, but they will never truly comprehend the destructive patterns and self-mutilating behaviors that characterized our previous make-up.
How to Find the Support Necessary to Stay Sober
If you don’t know where to start to find support, here are some tips and tricks to get the ball rolling:
- Go to a Meeting: This is where the magic happens. Raise your hand, share that you are new. If you hear someone share something you like, muster up the courage to go up and talk to them after.
- Get Phone Numbers: After a group therapy session or 12 Step meeting, don’t hesitate to reach out to the others around you. Ask for their contact information and be willing to give your own to others.
- Get Involved: Whether it be a service commitment or just fellowshipping after the meeting, get involved. Alumni programs at Harmony Hills are one way to do so.
- Get a Sponsor: Chances are, your sponsor has other sponsees that you can hang out with, and your sponsor probably has sober supports that you can call.
You don’t have to make friends with everyone. However, there is nothing good that comes from isolating yourself. There will be some meetings that you go to where no one sparks your interest or seems to have the sobriety you desire. That’s okay because the most effective aspect of sobriety is the control individuals finally have over their lives. Individuals get to shape it. We get to pick our friends and sober supports, we get to pray how we want and go to whatever meetings we want, pick our own sponsor, etc.
So take your time, find people who will truly support you, and have your back. But remember, the only way to have a true friendship is also to be a true friend.
Find the Support Necessary at Harmony Hills
Harmony Hills can offer tools, resources, and supports to maintain a sober life for individuals in the early stages of sobriety and work through recovery. Whether in a group session or a support group, individuals can take advantage of the therapies offered at Harmony Hills, such as:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- EMDR Therapy
- Family Therapy Program
- Group Therapy Program
- Individual Therapy Program
- Relapse Prevention Therapy
- Trauma Therapy Program
Reach out to us today at 855.494.0357 to learn more about our programs.