Individuals struggling with a mental health disorder often feel isolated and fight their battle alone. However, mental health disorders do not occur in a vacuum. These diseases impact the lives of all they touch, including friends and family. Mental health experts agree that family members and close friends, in certain circumstances, play a vital role in the recovery process. To this end, effective mental health treatment should include a family therapy program in Florida.
At Harmony Hills, we view our family therapy program as a critical component of comprehensive mental health treatment. Through family therapy, you will find the care and support needed to heal and repair relationships damaged by the impacts of poor mental health. Learn more about how we can help you and your loved ones by calling 855.494.0357.
Understanding the Benefits of Family Therapy
Family is one of the most vital and most influential forces in our development. Our relationships with family members are the first ones we form and are often the strongest. However, the impacts of mental health disorders can cause disruptions in even the most close-knit families. The main goal of family therapy is to help families manage the issues that impact the functioning of both individuals and the family unit.
The family systems model works from the point of view that a family is an interconnected unit, and each member affects how the system functions. Therefore, changes in one family member influence change in the rest of the family, as individuals and as a collective group. From this perspective, it becomes easy to recognize the importance of family therapy. Just as mental health disorders impact all family members, family dynamics influence mental health symptoms, creating a cycle of dysfunction.
The benefits of family therapy will be unique to each family member, but overall expected benefits can include:
- Developing and maintaining healthy boundaries
- Facilitating communication and cohesion
- Building empathy and understanding
- Identifying and changing dysfunctional roles
- Improving coping skills and problem-solving strategies
- Rebuilding trust
- Learning to share thoughts and feelings in healthy ways
Family therapy looks at problems as patterns and systems that need to be modified rather than emphasizing one person’s role. Strong family relationships play a critical role in the overall mental health of the family. Family therapy is essential to helping members understand and adjust to an individual member’s mental health diagnosis.
What to Expect from a Family Therapy Program
The support of family and close friends is essential to effective recovery from a mental health disorder. Mental health issues and co-occurring disorders can lead to conflict and confusion within the family. Family therapy provides a venue for family members to learn more about a loved one’s condition. Additionally, family members can learn about their role and how their behaviors support or hinder good mental health.
There are numerous approaches to family therapy. Some therapists specialize in one method, while others utilize multiple techniques to create unique plans for different families. Following is a closer look at popular family therapy treatments:
- Psychoeducation – Focuses on providing education about mental health disorders so family members can better understand them.
- Supportive family therapy – Creates a safe environment where family members can openly express themselves and receive support from other family members.
- Narrative family therapy – Encourages each family member to tell their own story to understand how their experiences shape who they are and how they relate to others. This helps family members see things from the perspective of others.
- Family systems therapy – Center on helping families utilize the strengths of their relationships to overcome mental health disorders
In our family therapy program, the term family is not limited to blood relatives or those who share a home. It includes anyone who plays a significant role in a client’s life. Family therapy helps everyone see that they are not alone and that their feelings matter.
Discover the Benefits of Family Therapy at Harmony Hills
Through family therapy at Harmony Hills, you and your loved ones will have a safe and supportive space to gain understanding about and heal from the impacts of your loved one’s mental health disorder. Our expert family therapists will utilize various evidence-based practices suited to your family’s needs. Learn more about the benefits of family therapy at Harmony Hills by calling 855.494.0357.