The World Health Organization has classified stress as the most significant health epidemic of the 21st century. Anxiety is the leading mental health disorder in American adults, and research indicates it is rising across all age groups. Social media creates pressure to look, do better, and always strive for more. A 24-hour news cycle bombards us with information about the present and future pandemics, political unrest, natural disasters, mass shootings, and more, so it is no wonder that stress and anxiety are rising.
Our integrative approach to comprehensive mental health treatment combines evidence-based and holistic therapies at Harmony Hills. Our meditation therapy program provides clients with skills and tools to help manage stress, anxiety, and other mental health disorders. Contact us at 855.494.0357 to learn how meditation can help with anxiety.
The Benefits of Meditation for Anxiety
Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years. Today meditation is mainly used as a relaxation technique to reduce stress and anxiety. Meditation is free and can be practiced in any environment. It aims to focus your attention to clear the mind of jumbled or racing thoughts, decrease negativity, and make a connection between the body and mind.
Meditation can help you develop a sense of calm and balance that benefits your emotional and physical health, promoting overall well-being. Through meditation, you clear out the information overload that builds up and raises stress levels. Meditation helps you focus on the present moment instead of reliving the past or worrying about the future. Meditation can help with anxiety by helping you:
- Develop skills to manage stress
- Gain new perspectives
- Increase self-awareness
- Decrease negative thoughts and feelings
- Increase tolerance and patience
- Manage symptoms of chronic illness
- Improve your quality of sleep
- Lower resting heart rate and blood pressure
One of the most significant benefits of meditation therapy is that it is non-invasive and requires no equipment. Research indicates that meditation is proven effective across all demographics. Meditation is not a replacement for professional anxiety treatment, but meditation therapy can be an essential part of your individualized treatment plan.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety?
Stress and anxiety can negatively impact your thinking, feelings, and behavior. They also impact your physical health. Everyone handles stress differently, so symptoms vary. However, common symptoms of anxiety can include:
- Inability to relax or quiet your mind
- Feeling overwhelmed or as if you are losing control
- Procrastinating or avoiding responsibilities
- Racing thoughts and constant worry
- Forgetfulness, disorganization, or inability to focus
- Changes in appetite
- Poor quality of sleep
- Increased use of drugs, alcohol, or nicotine
- Low energy and fatigue
- Frequent headaches, stomachaches, colds, and infections
- Being easily frustrated, agitated, and moody
Many of the symptoms of high stress and anxiety are similar to those of certain medical conditions, so it is essential not to ignore them. Talk with your doctor to rule out underlying medical conditions contributing to your symptoms.
What Types of Meditation Help with Anxiety?
There are countless approaches to meditation, and all of them can help reduce anxiety symptoms. Following is a look at three popular meditation techniques:
- Guided meditation – Also called visualization or guided imagery, you are guided to form mental images of situations or places you find relaxing while focusing on smells, sounds, sights, and textures.
- Mantra meditation – Silently repeating a calming word, phrase, or thought to prevent distracting thoughts from entering your mind.
- Mindfulness meditation – Having an increased awareness of the present moment, you observe thoughts and feelings and let them pass without judgment.
Everyone can learn meditation with practice. A meditation therapy program teaches the fundamentals of meditation and relaxation techniques so that you can draw on these skills whenever you need them.
Discover the Benefits of Meditation and Anxiety Treatment at Harmony Hills
Stress is an unavoidable part of life. However, when stress and anxiety interfere with your functioning, it is time to seek professional help. Harmony Hills offers comprehensive, holistic anxiety treatment, including a meditation therapy program. Call 855.494.0357 to discover the benefits of meditation and anxiety treatment.