Family is our first social group in life and heavily influences how we develop and who we become. Family therapy is a treatment designed to help families deal with issues that impact how the family functions and the mental health of family members. The ultimate goals of family therapy are to resolve conflict within the family system and create a healthier home environment. Family therapy for mental health aims to address the specific effects of the disorder on the functioning of individual family members and the family unit as a whole.
The family therapy program at Harmony Hills is a vital part of our mental health treatment programs. We understand the importance of the role of family participation for successful long-term recovery. To learn more about the benefits of family therapy, reach out to our team at 855.494.0357.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a type of psychotherapy that focuses on addressing the family system as a whole. This means that not only individual members of the family are assessed, but also the relationship dynamics and communication patterns between them. Family therapists look at how each member of the family contributes to creating an overall home environment.
Family Therapy for Mental Health Has Many Benefits
Mental health can be challenging to navigate. When someone you love struggles with their mental health, you feel helpless. Harmony Hills’ family therapy program provides the opportunity for families impacted by the effects of mental health disorders to heal and grow. Experts agree that family support is essential to the recovery process. Benefits of family therapy for mental health include:
- Reestablishing healthy communication and trust
- Identifying specific sources of conflict
- Fostering better expression of difficult emotions
- Understanding and respecting each other’s points of view
- Instilling a sense of empathy for one another
- Addressing dysfunctional roles
- Improving coping and problem-solving skills
In our family therapy program, family is not limited to blood relatives or those who share a home. It involves anyone who plays a significant role in a client’s life. Through family therapy, individuals can see that they are not alone and that their feelings matter. Family therapy also emphasizes the strengths of the family and builds upon them.
What are the Different Types of Family Therapy?
Family therapy considers every person’s feelings, opinions, and viewpoints in the session and is designed to restore balance to family dynamics. There are several approaches to family therapy. Some therapists rely on a particular method that they specialize in, while others use a multimodal approach that draws on different aspects of each to best suit the family’s needs. Popular family therapy treatments include:
- Family systems therapy – Focuses on utilizing the strengths within relationships to understand the group dynamic and how actions impact one another and the unit as a whole.
- Narrative family therapy – Encourages each family member to tell their own story to understand how their experiences shape who they are and how they relate to others. This approach helps family members see things from the perspective of others.
- Supportive family therapy – This creates a safe environment where family members can openly express themselves and receive support from other family members.
- Psychoeducation – Centers provide education about mental health disorders and addiction so family members can better understand them.
In all of these approaches, therapists may utilize specific techniques, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, trauma therapy, or dialectical behavior therapy. Through family therapy at Harmony Hills, you and your loved ones will have a safe and supportive space to explore and heal from the impacts that addiction and mental health issues have had on your family.
Impact of Family Therapy for Mental Health
Family therapy is a powerful treatment option that can help stabilize mental health and provide vital support during recovery. It can bring families closer together and create a sense of understanding and connection in the home environment. Additionally, family therapy for mental health can:
- Provide insight into how different behavior patterns are impacting family dynamics
- Help family members better understand each other
- Teach family members how to identify and communicate difficult emotions
- Help family members understand the dynamics of addiction and mental health issues
- Guide how to best support a loved one who is struggling with their mental health
- Reduce feelings of guilt, shame, and blame in family relationships
- Build stronger emotional connections between family members
At Harmony Hills, family support and involvement in recovery are essential for a successful outcome. We offer comprehensive family therapy services to give you the tools to create lasting change and achieve your goals.
Contact Harmony Hills to Learn More About Family Therapy
Through family therapy at Harmony Hills, you will learn to identify and build upon the strengths of individual family members and the family as a whole as you heal from the effects of addiction and mental health disorders. Reach out to learn more about the benefits of family therapy by calling 855.494.0357 or through our online form.