Doctors and psychologists have long been warning about the dangers of chronic stress. With rates of stress and anxiety significantly rising over the past few years, there is more focus than ever on finding inner peace and happiness. Smartphones have changed how we interact with the world. One impact has been that we are constantly bombarded with information, much of it distressing. School shootings, climate change, political unrest, and the COVID-19 pandemic are just some factors contributing to increased stress and anxiety levels.
At Harmony Hills, we know it is easy to feel stressed out and overwhelmed when our minds are continually racing. Our residential mental health treatment center offers a safe, supportive environment where clients can receive treatment for various mental health and substance use disorders without distractions from the outside world. Evidence-based and holistic mental health therapies relieve stress, anxiety, depression, and more. Call 855.494.0357 to learn about our programs.
What Is Peace of Mind?
Peace of mind refers to a mental state of calmness and tranquility free from worry and anxiety. Many people romanticize the notion of inner peace but do little to achieve it because it requires change, which most people find scary. Trying to achieve happiness and peace of mind through attempts to control the environment and predict the future will only cause more distress.
True happiness and peace of mind are not contingent upon your circumstances. You need to be prepared to encounter life’s challenges and difficulties when they arise. We experience a wide range of emotions daily. Happiness is a construct that has different meanings to different people. One of the best ways to find peace of mind is to focus on contentment rather than happiness.
Tips for How to Find Peace of Mind
Finding peace of mind begins with developing new, healthier habits. While this sounds simple enough, change does not come easily for most. Bad habits stem from negative thinking, which stems from an inability to confront challenges and obstacles openly. The best way to develop new habits is to set small, achievable goals, commit to those goals in writing, and create objectives for staying on track.
Tips for how to find peace of mind and happiness include:
- Stop chasing happiness – Most people connect happiness with achieving a goal, making happiness a reward. However, happiness is an emotion that has many levels. Instead of always trying to achieve happiness, allow it to be felt whenever it arises.
- Practice mindfulness – Mindfulness is a highly effective way to slow racing thoughts, reduce stress and anxiety, and help you live in the present moment. Guided meditations are a great way to practice mindfulness.
- Put down your phone – Technology is an essential tool for modern life. However, many have developed an unhealthy attachment to their smartphones. Limit your time on social media, which has been shown to directly correlate to higher stress and anxiety.
- Go outside – Nature, sunlight, and fresh air have healing, therapeutic properties for the body, mind, and spirit.
- Be more active – Exercise and body movement reduce stress by producing endorphins, elevating self-esteem, and reducing social withdrawal.
- Reframe – Rumination and worry create a false sense of accomplishment. Pay attention to your thoughts and redirect negative thinking to more positive thoughts and feelings.
Finding peace of mind and happiness does not come from erasing or avoiding every uncomfortable thought, emotion, or situation. Suppressing, ignoring, or otherwise trying to numb yourself to discomfort increases anxiety and stress. It is essential to face difficulties head-on without judgment or criticism.
Reach Out to Harmony Hills
At Harmony Hills, we recognize the importance of inner peace for good mental health and overall well-being. We offer comprehensive and holistic residential mental health treatment to address clients’ physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. Contact our team today at 855.494.0357 to learn about the mental health therapies that can help you find peace of mind and happiness.