Schizoaffective disorder is a mental health condition that combines symptoms of schizophrenia, such as hallucinations and delusions, with mood disorder symptoms like mania or depression. It is a rare yet severe mental illness that can significantly impact daily functioning and relationships. You may be wondering if there is therapy for schizoaffective disorder available. Fortunately, there are various therapeutic options available for individuals with schizoaffective disorder.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to therapy for schizoaffective disorder, but a combination of medication and individual or group therapy can be effective in managing symptoms. If you or a loved one suffers from schizoaffective disorder, Harmony Hills offers schizoaffective disorder treatment. We are a Florida mental health treatment center offering residential treatment for various mental health disorders, including schizoaffective disorder. We offer the most current, evidence-based, community-centered, holistic therapies available. To learn more about our programs, reach out to us at 855.494.0357 today.
Therapy for Schizoaffective Disorder
The most effective treatment for schizoaffective disorder typically includes a combination of medication and therapy. Medication can help manage symptoms of schizophrenia, such as hallucinations and delusions, as well as symptoms of mood disorders, like mania or depression.
Medication typically involves:
- Antipsychotics because they can help regulate thinking and behavior
- Mood stabilizers to control mood swings
- Antidepressants to treat symptoms of depression
Therapy for schizoaffective disorder typically involves individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy. Therapy can help individuals with schizoaffective disorder learn coping skills and problem-solving techniques, improve communication and relationships, and better manage symptoms.
Therapy can benefit schizoaffective disorder by:
- Providing support and education
- Teaching coping skills
- Improving communication and relationships
- Reducing symptoms
Signs You Need Therapy For Schizoaffective Disorder
As with all mental health disorders, the way schizoaffective disorder presents varies from person to person. In most cases, schizoaffective disorder symptoms are severe. The following are the most common symptoms:
- Hallucinations – Seeing or hearing things that are not real
- Delusions – False, fixed beliefs held to be true despite evidence to the contrary
- Disorganized thinking – Rapidly changing topics and giving answers unrelated to questions
- Mania – Euphoria, racing thoughts, and increased risk-taking behaviors
- Depression – Intense and persistent feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and hopelessness
Individuals with schizoaffective disorder are at higher risk for suicide and developing a co-occurring substance use disorder. Schizoaffective disorder is not preventable. If you are diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, seeking treatment as soon as possible helps you learn to manage your symptoms and minimize disruptions in your life.
Among the most common reasons people do not seek or receive mental health therapy are the following:
- Practical barriers such as inability to pay or lack of transportation
- Lack of mental health care providers
- Fear and shame associated with the stigma of mental illness
- Lack of insight into the need for treatment
- Distrust of the mental health system
- Lack of education about mental illness
- Hopelessness or the belief that they cannot be helped
Discover Mental Health Treatment in Florida
At Harmony Hills in Florida, you or your loved one can receive comprehensive, evidence-based, holistic mental health treatment for schizoaffective disorder and co-occurring disorders, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHA)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Major depressive disorder (MDD)
- Substance use disorder
We understand that every individual is unique, and we make sure that each of our clients receives an individualized treatment plan designed to meet their needs and treatment goals. In our residential treatment program for mental health, you or your loved one will have access to around-the-clock care and the support of a community of like-minded peers.
Contact Harmony Hills for Mental Health Treatment
If you are looking for therapy for schizoaffective disorder, we can help. While there is no cure for schizoaffective disorder, individuals can learn to manage their symptoms to lead healthy and fulfilling lives with proper treatment. Contact Harmony Hills to learn more about your options for effective mental health treatment. Use our secure online form or call 855.494.0357.