Contrary to the beliefs of many, addiction recovery involves much more than detoxing from drugs or alcohol. The simple fact is that detox is the first step in the recovery process. Substance use and mental health disorders are diseases whose roots are commonly intertwined. Under particular circumstances, a mental health disorder can come to light because of excessive drug or alcohol addiction. More often, drug or alcohol abuse or addiction results from underlying and untreated mental health conditions. In either case, an individual therapy program as part of a comprehensive treatment plan to address co-occurring disorders is essential to effective, long-term recovery.
At Harmony Hills, our team of mental health professionals will help you or a loved one identify the best treatment plan to meet your needs. Start the journey toward living the life you want by calling 855.494.0357 today.
What Is Individual Therapy for Addiction?
When thinking about individual therapy, the image of lying on a couch with a therapist in a chair taking notes is what comes to mind for many, and that can be intimidating. Indeed, that is what individual therapy sessions looked like for a long time. At Harmony Hills, individual therapy sessions are dynamic conversations between you and your counselor. In your first few sessions, your therapist will get to know you through discussions about your history of drug and alcohol abuse and mental health disorders, your relationships, your living situation, your reasons for seeking treatment, and your goals for recovery. All of this information will help direct the course of your therapy.
At first, it may feel uncomfortable to open up to a stranger about your innermost thoughts and feelings, and that’s normal. As you get to know your treatment team, you will become more comfortable. In the beginning, it can help to remind yourself that no one is judging you. Our only goal is to help you heal and give you the tools for a lifetime of recovery.
In individual therapy for addiction, your counselor will likely use a variety of treatment approaches to address different needs, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- EMDR therapy
- Relapse prevention therapy
- Trauma therapy
In addition to individual therapy, your treatment plan might also include group therapy, family therapy, and 12-step therapy.
What Are the Benefits of Individual Therapy for Addiction?
People often use drugs and alcohol to self-medicate or cope with emotional pain and difficult situations. Once the substances are out of your system, you will be left to confront the issues that led to your addiction. Without the haze of drugs or alcohol, you will be able to see things more clearly. Individual therapy allows you to get to the roots of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors in a safe, confidential, and supportive environment. Through the process, you will learn improved communication skills and how to build healthier interpersonal relationships.
Three of the most significant benefits of individual therapy for addiction are:
- You will gain a better understanding of yourself. As you explore your thoughts and feelings, your therapist can help guide you in understanding how they influence your behaviors. Making these connections will enable you to become more aware, which will help you learn to control your moods and emotions more effectively.
- You will learn to identify your triggers and harmful patterns of behavior. Many who suffer from addiction do not fully recognize or understand the triggers or behavior patterns that lead them to use. In therapy, you will learn how to identify your triggers and replace negative habits and patterns with healthier ones.
- You will develop healthy coping mechanisms. Individuals with substance use disorders typically struggle to adequately cope with stress, anger, disappointment, loss, and other strong emotions, and so turn to drugs and alcohol. Through individual therapy, you will learn how to handle these emotions without relying on substance use.
Contact Harmony Hills to Learn More about the Benefits of Our Individual Therapy Program
At Harmony Hills, we strive to help everyone who walks through our doors learn to break the chains of substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. Mental health treatment is a critical part of the process of recovery. To learn more individual therapy for addiction can benefit you or your loved one, call us at 855.494.0357.