When you are ready to receive mental health treatment, one of the choices you need to make is choosing a psychotherapist. This may seem overwhelming, but you can narrow down the many options when you know what to look for. It’s essential to remember that, like everyone else, therapists are people with distinct personalities and styles of communication. Just because someone is a therapist doesn’t mean you will connect with or feel comfortable sharing your thoughts and feelings. Try not to get discouraged if you don’t find the right therapist immediately.
Psychotherapy is a broad field that includes multiple treatment methods. The flexibility of psychotherapy means it can be adapted to suit the needs of a variety of people. We know that a cookie-cutter approach to mental health treatment is ineffective at Harmony Hills. We strive to get to know our clients intimately to create customized treatment plans. Call us at 855.494.0357 to learn more about our psychotherapy programs.
What to Look for in a Psychotherapist
The most critical part of psychotherapy is the therapeutic alliance, which refers to how therapists and clients connect, behave, and engage with one another. In addition to the relationship between the therapist and client, the therapeutic alliance involves an agreement on the goals of therapy and the methods used to achieve those goals.
The first step in choosing a psychotherapist is to ensure that they are appropriately certified and licensed and have experience working with your particular issues. Many psychotherapists are trained to treat a broad spectrum of mental health disorders. However, some specialize in a specific area and are less experienced in others.
Other qualities to look for in a psychotherapist include:
- Willingness to establish an alliance with you
- Possession of strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good active listening skills
- Ability to explain your symptoms
- Commitment to creating a personalized treatment plan adaptable to your changing needs
- Confidence in their ability to provide an effective course of treatment
- Sensitivity toward your ethnic, cultural, sexual, and gender identity
- Reliance on evidence-based practices
- Involvement in continuing education and training
A good psychotherapist is aware of and can acknowledge their limitations, including recognizing when they are not a good fit for a particular client. They can inspire hope and optimism about achieving your goals for therapy. Most good psychotherapists will offer a consultation to see if it is a good fit for you.
Tips for Finding a Psychotherapist
Finding the right psychologist takes patience. Accepting that part of the process can involve meeting with more than one psychologist is critical. Psychotherapists have different personalities, treatment approaches, and specializations.
As you begin your search, remain open-minded. Credentials and experience are critical but do not automatically make someone a good psychotherapist. Consider the following tips for finding a psychologist:
- Get a complete list of in-network providers from your insurance company
- Utilize Google – Searching “psychotherapists near me” will provide a great starting point
- Compare the Google list to your insurance list to help narrow down your options
- Read online reviews
- Talk to friends, family, or your doctor for recommendations
- Call your local hospital or medical center for referrals
- Search national organizations, such as The American Psychological Association or Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Deciding to seek professional help for your mental health is a big step toward taking back control of your life. Doing research and having patience in the process will ensure that you find the psychotherapist best suited to your needs.
Reach Out to Harmony Hills for Psychotherapy in Florida
Mental health disorders can take over your life and make you seem unrecognizable to yourself and your loved ones. Ignoring mental health symptoms or self-medicating with drugs or alcohol will only worsen them and contribute to additional issues, particularly substance abuse or addiction.
Harmony Hills is a holistic mental health treatment center offering comprehensive treatment for mental health disorders, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders
- Co-occurring disorders
Reach out to our team online or call 855.494.0357 to learn about the benefits of psychotherapy in Florida.