Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a popular type of psychotherapy (talk therapy) that is clinically proven to treat many mental health disorders. Over the years, advances in CBT have been made based on clinical practice and multiple research studies. CBT differs from many other forms of therapy in that copious amounts of scientific evidence have proven it to be highly effective in producing change.
Harmony Hills is a private mental health treatment center offering comprehensive care for mental health and co-occurring disorders in Florida. Our integrative approach utilizes the most recent evidence-based and holistic treatment modalities to help clients overcome their symptoms to lead the most healthy, productive, and fulfilling lives possible. We view our clients as individuals and design treatment plans to meet their unique needs, circumstances, and goals. Reach out to us at 855.494.0357 to learn about your treatment options, including CBT.
The Goals of CBT and Mental Health Treatment
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is based on the following core principles:
- Mental health issues are based, in part, on learned patterns of maladaptive behaviors.
- Mental health problems are based, in part, on irrational or unhealthy thinking patterns.
- People with mental health disorders can learn better coping skills to relieve their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
Through exercises in therapy sessions and homework exercises outside of sessions, CBT treatment relies on efforts to change thinking patterns and behavior patterns. While the CBT approach does not entirely discount information and events about the past, its primary focus is on the present and moving forward to develop more adaptive ways of coping with life’s more challenging times.
Some of the specific goals of CBT and mental health therapy include:
- Facing fears instead of avoiding them
- Using problem-solving skills to cope with difficult situations
- Developing a greater sense of confidence in one’s abilities
- Learning to recognize distortions in thinking that create problems
- Practicing relaxation techniques to calm the body and mind
- Gaining insight into the behavior and motivation of others
CBT helps clients reevaluate their distorted thinking in a more realistic light. This treatment modality utilizes numerous techniques to achieve therapeutic goals.
Benefits of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Mental Health Treatment
More than just identifying thoughts and feelings, CBT aims to help clients discover how these impact behavior and how they can be changed. CBT enables you to realize that, while you cannot control the world around you, you can control how you interpret and react to your environment.
According to CBT, most problems result from inaccurate thoughts that produce negative feelings. In CBT, the therapist helps individuals identify maladaptive thoughts and feelings and replace them with healthier, more adaptive ones. Once a person understands why they think or feel specific ways and how those thoughts and emotions impact their mental health, they can begin to change.
CBT can be utilized in individual and group therapy. Some of the benefits of CBT for mental health treatment include the following:
- Helping to identify and dismiss inaccurate beliefs
- Teaching effective communication skills
- Identifying ways to manage emotions
- Learning techniques for coping with stressful situations
- Learning to identify and manage triggers
- Developing self-esteem and confidence in one’s abilities
- Increasing understanding of the behavior of others
For CBT to be successful, clients must fully engage. In addition to exercises in sessions, your therapist will assign homework to do between sessions that allow you to practice the skills you are learning.
Learn More About CBT at Harmony Hills
CBT focuses on identifying and changing the negative or irrational thoughts that influence your emotions and behavior. CBT has been proven effective for treating a wide range of mental health disorders, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- Mood disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Trauma-related disorders
- Substance use disorders
At Harmony Hills, our cognitive-behavioral therapy program is individualized to meet your unique needs. Reach out using our online form or call 855.494.0357 to learn more about CBT for mental health treatment. It only takes one call to change your future for the better.